History of TaeKwonDo and HapKiDo

TaeKwon Do originated in Korea some 2,000 years ago.  It was developed by a group of people to use as self-defense. Tae Kwon Do means the art of kicking and punching (Tae meaning to jump or kick with the foot, Kwon meaning to punch or strike with the hand, and Do meaning art, way of life, and moral culture).  In Tae Kwon Do kicks are used about 80% of the time and punches the remaining 20%. Taekwondo is known for its majority use of kicking techniques, which distinguishes it from martial arts such as Karate or southern styles of Kung Fu. The rationale is that the leg is the longest and strongest weapon a martial artist has, and kicks thus have the greatest potential to execute powerful strikes without successful retaliation.Taekwondo as a sport and exercise is popular with people of both sexes and of many ages, and in Korea it has become the national sport for children.  Physically, taekwondo develops strength, speed, balance, flexibility, and stamina.  An example of the union of mental and physical discipline is the breaking of boards, which requires both physical mastery of the technique and the concentration to focus one’s strength.Taekwondo became an Official Olympic Sport in 2000 after being a demonstration sport of the XXIV Olympics in 1988 and the XXV Olympics in 1992, however it was not included in the XXVI Olympics held in 1996.